If a stain isn’t attended to right away its possible that it can remain there permanently. I will help you prevent this from happening.
It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to remove the ketchup stain.
- Remove as much of it from the fabric by using a spoon or blunt knife.
- Turn inside out and run it under cold water as quickly as possible.
- Turn right side out using a mild liquid detergent. Rub gently in a circular motion starting from the outside of the stain, working your way inward.
- If the fabric is washable and white, try one of these in a small area: lemon juice, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
- Continue to repeat the above steps until you don’t see any brown or pink in the fabric.
- Launder normally. Before drying make should the stain is out completely.
- If it remains, rub detergent in the area of the stain and let it set in warm water for 30 minutes. Rinse well.
Mustard stains are caused by the yellow pigment or turmeric in mustard. The yellow pigment can actually dye fibers so it is important to remove the stain quickly as possible.
- Remove any excess with a blunt knife or spoon.
- If fabric is white and washable you can put hydrogen peroxide on it and let it set for 30 minutes.
- If it is a colored fabric apply glycerin (hand soap section, drugstore) and let it sit at least an hour.
- Pre-treat and launder as usual.
- First, remove any mustard remaining on the fabric using a blunt knife or spoon.
- Try not to rub it any deeper into the fibers.
- Treat the stain with a liquid laundry detergent and then rinse thoroughly.
- Soak the garment in a diluted solution of oxygen bleach. Launder as usual in cool water. Do not dry the garment: if the stain remains. Repeat the steps until stain is removed.
- If the garment is dry clean only, point out and identify the stain to your professional cleaner. If you are using a home dry cleaning kit, be sure to treat the stain with the provided stain remover before putting the garment in the dryer bag.
- Try an enzyme presoak product and according to package directions.
- After soaking, launder as usual.
- For older stains, sponge area with a diluted solution with vinegar and water and launder.